Free 45-Minute Webinar
You Are What You Post: Create a
Positive Web Presence
May 9, 3 pm EST
May 9, 7:30 pm EST
May 10, 9:30 pm EST
To register: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CTMay910
Can’t attend one of these three live sessions?
Register instead to provide On-Demand access for your entire student population!
You Are What You Post: Create a Positive Web Presence—On Demand
JK Thomas & Associates Ltd.
You Are What You Post: Create a Positive Web Presence
It is sometimes difficult for an adolescent to think beyond next week, let alone several years in the future. In addition, they have tendencies to occasionally act first and think later. In today’s world of instant access to information about everything and everyone, impulsive postings have long lasting ramifications. Colleges, businesses, even parents checking out their child’s prom night date use the web to ferret out information about applicants. Our young people must learn to be proactive in building their online reputations, and it is incumbent on the adults in their lives to help them understand that process. This webinar will be an invaluable resource for understanding the possibilities and challenges inherent in one’s online life.
- teachers, administrators, counselors and other school staff members
Ways a team might use this information:
- In advisory
- Share the webinar with students in 10 minute segments and structure conversations around the salient points of each segment.
- Use the information in the webinar to create your own interactive lessons.
- Digital citizenship lessons
- Use quotes, statistics, etc. from the webinar to frame a lesson on cyberbullying or other topics
- Explore the topic of social entrepreneurship using examples of adolescents doing good in the world through online social activism; perhaps spur students into starting a service learning project.
- Parents’ night
- Use it as the central focus of the parents’ night program to (1) help them understand the positive aspects of their children’s online participation and (2) give them some tips for guiding their children through the maze of web.
- Share the registration information as a good resource for parents to access.
- Information to put in parent newsletters
- Create a section of your newsletter entitled “Tips & Facts” for Digital Parenting” and use information from the webinar to give parents some concrete advice.
- Copy links from the webinar for parents to use (e.g. Common Sense Media).
- Educate your community
- As you advocate for additional technology (hardware, software, & curriculum integration), use information from the webinar to demonstrate the urgency of providing 21st century resources for your students.
- Volunteer to go to the Rotary (take students!) and other civic organizations to do a program that emphasizes the world your students will be entering as they graduate. Use webinar information to help make your case.
- Free 45 minute webinar
For more information beyond this free webinar
Option to purchase 6 additional + 2 bonus modules that go more in depth on the topic, including
- First Impressions Matter: Putting Your Best Foot Forward
- Improving Your Digital Footprint
- “To Be or Not to Be” Personal Branding
- Being Safe Online: Ensuring Online Safety and Privacy
- Presenting Yourself Online—Where Will You Be Found? (Hint: More than on Facebook)
- Weighing the Options — Making Choices
Bonus module #1: But, What About Young Adolescents (10- to 15-Year-Olds)? A Primer for Parents, Teachers, and 10-15 Year Olds
Bonus Module #2: Raising Children in the Digital Age—Any Century Parenting